Friday, August 25, 2017

Day 2 - 8/24/17

Ah I had a super busy day yesterday and completely forgot to post! Yesterday was full of a bunch of orientation meetings, permit to stay appointments and exploring the new city. I started off my morning yesterday with a welcome breakfast and a meeting with the US Embassy here in Rome and followed it with an appointment to submit my permit to stay to the Italian government. After that, we got a tour of our campuses (theres two different buildings not too far from one another that have classrooms in them - called the Tiber campus and the Guarini campus). The property is so pretty and I'm actually pretty excited to start my classes there on Monday! We had one other workshop of the night after that about health and wellbeing while living in Rome and then after that, Lea and I went to dinner at a nice pizzeria (I had margherita pizza) and hung out with some friends there and talked. It's so cool how over here they really don't rush you out of the restaurant; we sat there and talked at our table for two hours and no one came over and handed us the check or rushed us along. After dinner, we decided to just walk around and explore the the backroads of the city around one of our campuses.  We stumbled upon a stunt guy in the square doing all these crazy tricks like eating fire and balancing on bricks so we stopped to watch that for a little bit. Since it was later at night people had set up tables along the cobblestones to sell jewelry, paintings, even fidget spinners and selfie sticks! There were also tons of really cute shops along the alleyways and there were so many people out. It's so so different from the US - here it's 11 o'clock and the streets are still super crowded with people everywhere! When we finished exploring, we decided to go check out this nice little bar called G Bar that was along one of the alleyways. It was a super cool place and a big hang out for a lot of JCU students. I've met a bunch of really great people from all over the US here (a lot from Notre Dame and UW - Madison.) Ok, stay tuned for Day #3:)

Cobblestone streets leading to the Guarini campus

View from one of the study terraces in the Guarini campus

Crazy stunt guy in the square

Dinner from last night - margherita pizza and wine!

1 comment:

  1. Dinner looks fabulous. Make sure you keep notes for later.

    ReplyDelete

Weekend in Athens, Greece

I can't help but think about how grateful I am to have this opportunity to travel and see so much of the world. We spent this past weeke...